Just like the Olympic Torch, the official (and only) Bandido Cross championship jersey has begun its travels from the secret lair towards Colorado. Once a year, accompanied by tight security in a used Popemobile, the jersey leaves the vault and travels through this great land inspiring Americans to pursue greatness.
Then for a brief shining moment on Sunday the 29th, shall the glass case of emotion be unlocked, the jersey will be donned (or donna’d), many tears of joy will be shed, photos and hashtags aplenty, and then put back in the case.
Sorry, but it has to be this way, but this was missing for 2 years. This is why we can’t have nice things.
Official championship Bandido Cross Jersey.
Registration is now open – get on it at BikeReg.com!
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. Eleanor Roosevelt.
Registration will be open soon for this year’s Bandido Cross at BikeReg.com. Sign up early – there’s no race day signup.
Why is this year better than ever?
- The day before, Ridgeline Events is running Parker Cross, and we will have a fully marked, and taped course.
- We’ve been working with the great people at Town of Parker Recreation, and we are fully authorized and permitted to have Bandido Cross at the great venue. But that’s as legit as we get.
- Marshmallow Hill is back. Why just watch and heckle when you can bombard racers with marshmallows.
- Course options: We are having a green, blue, black route option. Challenge yourself or don’t.
Here’s the schedule of events for Sunday, November 29, 2015.
- 10 AM: Course open.
- 11 AM: Guided lap. We are going to pair first timers with more experienced riders.
- Noon: Really racing-ish. Bandidos that want to be slightly more serious, whilst not being douchey and compete will race for 40 minutes. Let me know who wins.
- Noon:40: Singlespeed Clydesdales named Cole. Field size is limited to 3 in this category.
- Noon:41: Not Really Racing. This is for the rest of us knuckleheads. 40 minutes of fun, handups, and heckling.
- 1:30 PM: COURSE CLEANUP. All we have to do is pick up our trash, and pull down the course tape. EASY.
- KNIGHTING CEREMONY: All new Bandido riders will be inducted and knighted into the Hermanohood.
- Grand Champion Award: Based completely on random, secret criteria, we will announce our event winner, with the largest prize ever awarded in any competition in the history of the galaxy.
- Take Off: We are then headed off to a local brewery.
Stay tuned for more information. Follow us on Twitter @BandidoCross for the latest.
Greetings amigos. This year’s Bandido Cross is set for Sunday November 29, 2015. High Noon as always.
Over 100 people showed up last year – which was absolutely amazing. We started years ago with 12 people in a backyard.
In order to keep this going, and stay true to the spirit, a few things will be different this year.
- We are getting an official permit with the Town of Parker. This was done out of respect, to keep the course open for this and future events.
- We are also getting event insurance, which is required as part of the permitting process for the town.
- Which leads to the final change – there will be an entry fee this year, with a real registration and waiver.
The final cost is to be determined – but you will NOT need to purchase a racing license. We are partnering also with a local kids bike charity. But all in, for a marked course, reserved for us, will be less than $25.
Marshmallow Hill (p/b Hanes Her Way), the nuevo bandido knighting ceremony and everything that made the event and the people so kick ass will still be part of it.
Welcome to Bandido Cross 2014!
This year’s event will be fun beyond words! What started in a backyard a few short years ago has become an unofficial highlight on the bike calendar.
Only a few rules:
- Remember, the course is open – watch for dogs, other riders, horses – and be cool.
- Stay in control if you are drinking anything else besides water.
- Bring 2 friends: someone who rides, but has never tried cyclocross; and someone who doesn’t ride, but loves a good time.
We’ve added some really cool stuff:
- Kids Marshmallow Gauntlet – from Detroit CX: all the kids will be stationed at the big mean hill, and are encouraged to pelt riders with mini-marshmallows.
- Yard Games Barriers: Fresh from tailgate parties, we have cornhole / bags, and ladder golf as a manmade barrier. Volunteers will corral you knuckleheads and issue severe heckling at your lack of skills.
- Cyclocross Training Seminar: Local CX legend Nic Handy will go into his training plan for cyclocross success
- Rookie Guided Lap: Keeping with the Bandido spirit of welcoming and encouraging those new to the sport, on our warmup lap we will be pairing true first timers with more experienced riders to answer questions, demonstrate skills, etc.
- 5K-ish Run! – We all have friends and family who don’t ride, but we want them to participate in the reindeer games too. After our preride lap at 11am, we will have a 5K run at 11:15. One hot lap!
Here is the schedule for the day:
- 10 AM: Course setup / registration tent opens
- 1030 AM: Volunteer Check-in, assignments
- 11 AM: Rookie Guided Lap
- 11:15 AM: Bandido 5K Run
- 11:55 AM: Staging for Bandido Cross
- High Noon: Racers Go!
- High Noon:01: The rest of us go!
- 12:50 PM: Stop!
- 1 PM: Lies, bragging, Induction of New Bandidos into the Ranks
- 1:30 PM Head to the bar (TBD)
More details to follow, but mark your calendars. Sunday, November 9 at the Zombie Cross / Salisbury Equestrian Park in Parker.
It’s an open date on the race calendar – we already checked.
Cornhole barrier, ladder golf, marshmallow bombardment for the kids, beer.
Bring your bike friends, bring your beer friends.
Event Location: Salisbury (Zombie CX), Parker, Colorado
Cost: $0, zero, nothing. However, if you have a good time, and are so inclined, you can donate to Matt’s Bike MS fundraising page.
Schedule of Events – Sunday June 8
- 830 am – registration and bib number assignment
- 900 am – Road ride departs – Hess Road loop (no drop ride)
- 1030 am – estimated arrival back to Zombie Cross
- 4 laps around Zombie CX Course (MTBs most welcome!)
- Then, depart for Hidden Mesa for the MTB ride
- Cocktails at Takoda Tavern post MTB.
- Follow @BandidoCross for arrivals and departures
Weather and Safety Rules – No Bullshit
- ROAD: Ride smart and safe on the road. It is Sunday morning, be careful.
- CX at Zombie: If there are youth sports on the baseball field, the hairpin by the parking lot will be detoured, with a hard right on the gravel.
- MTB at Hidden Mesa – this spot is very popular with the horse crowd. YIELD (this means stop) for HORSES. Put a foot down and let them direct you to proceed.
- Don’t be a ‘bag.
Sadly, FarmersOnly withdrew their sponsorship of the event, but the US National Whitewater Center, in Charlotte, North Carolina has stepped up.
All registered riders will take home a commemorative shot glass!
There will also be gifts for first time Bandidos.
The forecast in Parker calls for another set of storms on Saturday. If the rain is heavy, we will scrub the MTB portion.