A very sincere thank you for coming out last Sunday. Truly an epic event, and I appreciate the spirit, friendship and shenanigans from every single one of you. Thank you for pulling up the stakes and the course tape.
Some precious memories…
- I just wrote a check for $800 to support Project Recycle.
- Barnett and Sons donated $117 from pint sales.
- Little Emmett on his strider bike.
- The entire Reichert family going full tilt.
- Nic Handy creating the hill climb event.
- Our honorable mayor came out to see us.
- So many emails and posts and photos about how much fun was had.
I also received an email from the Town of Parker that they plan to keep the course mowed all year round, and our plan here is to have several events throughout the season in 2016. If you have a minute, please shoot an email to Betsy at Parker Rec letting her know we appreciate her and the support of the town.
Thanks to my buddy John for suggesting we partner up, and his help with permits, course prep and cleanup.
Make sure to post your photos in Bandido Cross on Facebook and follow us @BandidoCross.
We’ll be riding all year round – hope to see you soon.
Last minute info…
Hola! This years event is shaping up to be the biggest and best ever. Here’s some more race day information for everyone.
- Bandido Cross is on! Cyclocross is a fall/winter sport, and winter is here. Races run no matter what.
- First time riding in snow or first cyclocross race? We would suggest a few things.
- Lower your tire pressure. The turns are slippery in spots, and your cornering will improve. Just ask us for suggestions.
- Dress warm – hands, feet, head. Ski helmets are great, ski gloves, an extra layer of socks. High of 27 degrees.
- Slow down, take it easy. You’ll see what we mean in a few hours.
- Guided lap – 11 AM. We’ll all do a course preview lap at 11 am. More experienced riders will help you out with lines, obstacles, techniques.
- Really Racing – Noon. 40 Minutes
- Single Speed Clydesdales Named Cole: 12:40 for 40 minutes
- Not Really Racing – 12:40:30 for 40 minutes
- Kids: They are welcome to ride with parents or can go by themselves.
- Course clean-up: We just need to pull up the course tape and poles.
- Awards and Knighting Ceremony: All first time Bandido Cross riders will be honorably inducted into our proud ranks. Let us know at check in that it’s your first time.
- Adjourn to Barnett and Sons: Located 5 minutes away at 18425 Pony Express Dr, Parker, CO 80134, they are donating $1 per pint to Project Recycle. We’ll get warm there!
If you’ve never been to Bandido Cross…
- This is unsanctioned. We have no timing, scoring, referees. We do have expectations, not rules:
- If you’re Really Racing – Total honor system. You fast riders know who you are and will keep track of each other. Be gentlemen and gentleladies, good sports and tolerant. You may be hit with a marshmallow or two. Let me know the winner.
- If you’re not Really Racing – Get rowdy, have fun, be safe and helpful. Stay in control, know when to say when.
- Cleanup – Help us keep this park ready for CX. The Town of Parker and Parks and Rec has been amazing to this event. Grab some trash, pick up / clean up. Pack it in, pack it out.
- This is all about good friends, getting outside in the winter, having a good time.
- Thank you! This started as 12 people in a backyard. Your spirit and passion has made this what it is. Viva Bandidos!
Just like the Olympic Torch, the official (and only) Bandido Cross championship jersey has begun its travels from the secret lair towards Colorado. Once a year, accompanied by tight security in a used Popemobile, the jersey leaves the vault and travels through this great land inspiring Americans to pursue greatness.
Then for a brief shining moment on Sunday the 29th, shall the glass case of emotion be unlocked, the jersey will be donned (or donna’d), many tears of joy will be shed, photos and hashtags aplenty, and then put back in the case.
Sorry, but it has to be this way, but this was missing for 2 years. This is why we can’t have nice things.
Official championship Bandido Cross Jersey.
Registration is now open – get on it at BikeReg.com!
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. Eleanor Roosevelt.
Registration will be open soon for this year’s Bandido Cross at BikeReg.com. Sign up early – there’s no race day signup.
Why is this year better than ever?
- The day before, Ridgeline Events is running Parker Cross, and we will have a fully marked, and taped course.
- We’ve been working with the great people at Town of Parker Recreation, and we are fully authorized and permitted to have Bandido Cross at the great venue. But that’s as legit as we get.
- Marshmallow Hill is back. Why just watch and heckle when you can bombard racers with marshmallows.
- Course options: We are having a green, blue, black route option. Challenge yourself or don’t.
Here’s the schedule of events for Sunday, November 29, 2015.
- 10 AM: Course open.
- 11 AM: Guided lap. We are going to pair first timers with more experienced riders.
- Noon: Really racing-ish. Bandidos that want to be slightly more serious, whilst not being douchey and compete will race for 40 minutes. Let me know who wins.
- Noon:40: Singlespeed Clydesdales named Cole. Field size is limited to 3 in this category.
- Noon:41: Not Really Racing. This is for the rest of us knuckleheads. 40 minutes of fun, handups, and heckling.
- 1:30 PM: COURSE CLEANUP. All we have to do is pick up our trash, and pull down the course tape. EASY.
- KNIGHTING CEREMONY: All new Bandido riders will be inducted and knighted into the Hermanohood.
- Grand Champion Award: Based completely on random, secret criteria, we will announce our event winner, with the largest prize ever awarded in any competition in the history of the galaxy.
- Take Off: We are then headed off to a local brewery.
Stay tuned for more information. Follow us on Twitter @BandidoCross for the latest.
Greetings amigos. This year’s Bandido Cross is set for Sunday November 29, 2015. High Noon as always.
Over 100 people showed up last year – which was absolutely amazing. We started years ago with 12 people in a backyard.
In order to keep this going, and stay true to the spirit, a few things will be different this year.
- We are getting an official permit with the Town of Parker. This was done out of respect, to keep the course open for this and future events.
- We are also getting event insurance, which is required as part of the permitting process for the town.
- Which leads to the final change – there will be an entry fee this year, with a real registration and waiver.
The final cost is to be determined – but you will NOT need to purchase a racing license. We are partnering also with a local kids bike charity. But all in, for a marked course, reserved for us, will be less than $25.
Marshmallow Hill (p/b Hanes Her Way), the nuevo bandido knighting ceremony and everything that made the event and the people so kick ass will still be part of it.
Welcome to Bandido Cross 2014!
This year’s event will be fun beyond words! What started in a backyard a few short years ago has become an unofficial highlight on the bike calendar.
Only a few rules:
- Remember, the course is open – watch for dogs, other riders, horses – and be cool.
- Stay in control if you are drinking anything else besides water.
- Bring 2 friends: someone who rides, but has never tried cyclocross; and someone who doesn’t ride, but loves a good time.
We’ve added some really cool stuff:
- Kids Marshmallow Gauntlet – from Detroit CX: all the kids will be stationed at the big mean hill, and are encouraged to pelt riders with mini-marshmallows.
- Yard Games Barriers: Fresh from tailgate parties, we have cornhole / bags, and ladder golf as a manmade barrier. Volunteers will corral you knuckleheads and issue severe heckling at your lack of skills.
- Cyclocross Training Seminar: Local CX legend Nic Handy will go into his training plan for cyclocross success
- Rookie Guided Lap: Keeping with the Bandido spirit of welcoming and encouraging those new to the sport, on our warmup lap we will be pairing true first timers with more experienced riders to answer questions, demonstrate skills, etc.
- 5K-ish Run! – We all have friends and family who don’t ride, but we want them to participate in the reindeer games too. After our preride lap at 11am, we will have a 5K run at 11:15. One hot lap!
Here is the schedule for the day:
- 10 AM: Course setup / registration tent opens
- 1030 AM: Volunteer Check-in, assignments
- 11 AM: Rookie Guided Lap
- 11:15 AM: Bandido 5K Run
- 11:55 AM: Staging for Bandido Cross
- High Noon: Racers Go!
- High Noon:01: The rest of us go!
- 12:50 PM: Stop!
- 1 PM: Lies, bragging, Induction of New Bandidos into the Ranks
- 1:30 PM Head to the bar (TBD)